Wednesday, February 27, 2008

it all started with a gut reaction

Yeah, I'm gonna go vegan. No, I'm not going to barrage you with all kinds of factoids from my soapbox. In a nutshell, here's my reasons why I'm making this choice:

When I was about ten, I was eating a piece of ham. I noticed that it has a hole in it, which I then recognized as being an artery or vein. It was the first time I truly realized that the meat we put in our mouths was at one point a living, breathing, (dare I say it) sentient being.

In the twenty years since then, I have been an on again off again vegetarian. I had trouble figuring out how to do so healthfully, so I would end up feeling ill and decide that eating animal protein was the answer.

More recently, I have been thinking about my eating, and think that one of the roots of my weight issues and disordered eating are linked to the feelings I have around animal products as food. I have felt for years that I "had " to eat this objectionable stuff in order to live, and in an unconscious response, decided I would eat whatever other crap I felt like eating as well. (i.e. "If I eat these eggs, I can follow it with a box of cookies.")

This realization led me to do more research on vegetarianism and how to do live in a healthy manner. In this exploration, I learned about the atrocities that are inflicted upon the creatures in the dairy and egg industries. (I won't go into it here; if you want to know, ask me later.) So I began to research veganism, which is a form of vegetarianism that excludes dairy, eggs, and other animal-derived products.

What I found was that it is completely possible to eat in a fashion that doesn't make me feel sick. And so I'm going to give it a go. No, I don't have all the answers. No, I won't force it down your throat. Yes, I am taking a multivitamin just in case. Yes, I will still eat with you and visit you. It will just be a little more complicated for me. This is my choice, and so I will be responsible for making sure I have something to eat.

So there. Thanks for listening.

5 comments:

Jen said...

I Love You Friend-O! So proud! :) <3

Justin said...

ok, I can get behind healthy eating, as long as I don't have to do it as well. There has to be room in life for dark chocolate, cause of the anti-oxidants (and milk chocolate cause of the tastiness)and wine, and the occasional pringle.

You're on your own as far as the vegan thing goes. As a conscious omnivore, I couldn't imagine giving up meat. Plus I've yet to taste a truly yummy vegan baked good, and you would think that if anywhere, granola Seattle would have em. Maybe Portland

Leah said...

Jen- thanks!

Justin- you can have your foods, I'm fine with that. You eat your happy meat.

I admit that there are things that I'll miss, but I'm more than willing to make the sacrifice. You eat your Pringles, I'll have my Fritos.

I will start perfecting my skills at vegan baked goods so that the next time I visit I can totally wow you.

edluv said...

when one becomes a vegan, does one get rid of all their animal stuffs (like leather shoes, belts, etc) like a Xian tossing out the "secular" music from their life?

or, do you just decide to not get any more?

Leah said...

it depends on the person. I'm going to use what i've got until it wears out.