Thursday, March 8, 2007

tutorial

I thought I'd put up the directions on how to do the freezer-paper screen printing in case any of you feel crafty, too. It's fun and easy, so try it out! (I'll try to post pictures later.)

First, gather your materials. You'll need: freezer paper (NOT waxed paper--it'll destroy your project and your iron. Freezer paper is like waxed paper on one side and parchment on the other. I found it at FoodMaxx.), an iron, a simple drawing, an exacto knife, fabric paint, a foam brush, fabric (anything that can be ironed), and a pen of some sort.

Trace or draw your image onto the paper side of the freezer paper. Cut out the parts you want in color using the exacto knife. Iron the freezer paper, waxy side down, onto the fabric where you want the image to be. Do this twice just to be sure it is stuck on.

Paint the fabric using the brush and paint. Be sure to have something under the fabric if it is thin, as the paint may seep through the fabric onto your ironing board, ruining the nice new cover you recently put on it. At least, that's what I did the first time. Oops.

Peel off the freezer paper, and you have your print! Let the paint dry for however long the instructions say, and then you're done!

Amazing, eh?

3 comments:

Adam said...

Hey wow, that's cool. I'll have to give it a shot.

edluv said...

that does sound like a nifty quick iron technique. how clear are the results? photos of finished work?

edluv said...

nevermind, i just saw the photos of the record bag.

but, hey, check out this girl's blog:
http://eatsleepshitsew.blogspot.com/
she stumbled onto my art site (i guess). may be of some interest to you.