Tuesday, April 14, 2009

question for lit lovers

I'm starting a Young Adult Novel class soon, and am looking for recommendations on books. According to the syllabus (I don't have the text yet), I need to have one novel that has a multicultural focus, and one that I pick. I'm thinking I'll do my lessons on a volunteer basis at the school near me, probably in fifth grade. Any ideas? I know of a few novels because of what I've used in the past, but I'd like to branch out from what I already know. Suggestions gladly accepted...

5 comments:

Justin said...

My first thought is The View From Saturday. I also just finished a weekend of YA reading, just cause, and I can recommend The Mysterious Benedict Society and The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I also read The Graveyard Book, which just won the Newberry, and I enjoyed it. Not sure if it is appropriate. I've also heard good things about The Absolute True Story of a Part Time Indian, by Alexi, but again probably not appropriate.

I'll think of some others.

Justin said...

I'm guessing these kids aren't great readers?

The Artemis Fowl books are fun.

Leah said...

Those were actually some of my picks! I need to get copies and pre-read them to decide. I may go with high school just to have fun. I don't know yet... but thanks!

Justin said...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1932416358

a book of short stories for 826Ventura by McSweeny's

The title is way too long to type

Mrs Lefty said...

Esperanza Rising is a great book about a girl overcoming her struggles moving from Mexico to California.

La Linea is another great book about the struggles to get to California.

The Circuit and Breaking Through are other books, by the same author, about being a migrant farm worker.

I have read all of these books with my students and they all love them. They are 6th graders. They really like The Circuit and Breaking Through because it is all based on a true story and many of them can relate.

Let me know if you need anymore.