Friday, January 26, 2007

Ella's blankie

I must admit that I'm hooked on applique. After my cheat on the wall hanging didn't work and I had to figure out the real way to do it, I found I liked all the tiny stitches that are applique. As I was knitting an afghan square, I remembered that I had a bunch of iron-on transfers stashed away somewhere. I dug them out and picked my favorite to use as a repeating pattern on a child's quilt. I went about making a pattern and all that, and made a prototype. Sadly, I had misjudged the size of the layout and had to scrap it. Today I redid the pattern and made the first square. I'm quite happy with it, though I think it will need some embroidered embellishment at some point. Let me know what you think. This picture was taken when I had the pieces pinned down but not sewn yet.
(And, no, they aren't "magic" mushrooms! Just regular ol' cutie-pie ones that would be appropriate for a child's blanket.)

4 comments:

Adam said...

I like it but shouldn't the top of the pink mushroom go under to maintain continuity?

Leah said...

uummmmm... well it's too late now. i was working off the pattern from the transfers, and that's how it was on there. i didn't really think too hard on it. good observation, though. you win 20 points!

Adam said...

Ah well, I still like the mushrooms. It's a cool pattern. If I was a baby and needed a blankie, I'd totally want a mushroom blankie.

Leah said...

i would too.